RNAO’s continuing media profile: The January report

We’ve begun a new year with even more determination to address the challenges brought forward by the relentless COVID-19 virus. RNAO continues its central role in the media, speaking about key issues and continuing our advocacy efforts to mobilize change and help bring an end to this pandemic. This is a summary of our January interventions.

It’s been one year of this COVID report…!

On January 27, 2020, I sent my first novel coronavirus report. Fast-forward a year, and…. we still have months to go, and perhaps even longer. The key factors that will greatly influence the days, weeks, months and perhaps years ahead depend mainly on two priorities. The first is how strongly the Ontario government implements policies aimed at controlling the virus. The second is how fast and effectively vaccination rollouts happen in Ontario, Canada and globally.

Please sign action alert urging Premier Ford to suffocate COVID-19, NOW!

Nurses call on Premier Doug Ford to act swiftly to suffocate community spread of COVID-19 – now more than ever – given the rapidly spreading new strains. As with the vaccines, delay in taking bold action to support vulnerable populations that can’t afford to self-isolate is costing lives and putting our health system and its health-care workers at undue burden – physically and emotionally.  

The escalating catastrophe of the COVID-19 second wave in Ontario

RNAO has been a leading voice since the end of the first wave in summer 2020 calling on the Ontario government to engage measures to pre-empt and prevent the unavoidable second wave in the fall. We provide an update on the current context and RNAO's reaction to the latest measures implemented in the province. RNAO describes these measures as not enough, too little, too late and – since we are in an intensifying tragedy – calculated recklessness.

RNAO says Ontario government, taking belated and delayed action, is failing Ontarians as virus runs rampant and endangers lives and our health-care system

RNAO says the government is failing Ontarians at a crucial moment when COVID-19 runs rampant. Dramatic and immediate action is required. The government’s announcement of a province-wide lockdown comes very late and is further endangering lives and the health-care system by waiting until Dec. 26 to enact the measures.

RNAO continues to express grave concern regarding the worsening situation with the second wave of COVID-19 in Ontario

As discussed last week, RNAO continues to urge faster and stronger action than reflected in the current colour-coded COVID-19 Response Framework. RNAO is calling for a province-wide lockdown, or, at a minimum, following the Ontario Hospital Association recommendation to robustly enforce a four-week lockdown (grey zone) in every public health unit with an infection rate of 40/100,000 population or higher.

RNAO gravely concerned about the second pandemic wave

RNAO and others remains gravely concerned by the late and insufficient efforts to control the second pandemic wave, which is once again overwhelming long term care (LTC) institutions, in particular nursing homes across the province, adding anguish to residents, staff and the families of both. This “too little, too late approach” continues to disadvantage populations compromised by their social conditions.